There are some foods and drinks which are ‘naughty’ foods but are totally fine to have as part of a healthy and alkaline diet.
Foods such as the modestly-sized bar of chocolate (preferably dark and organic), a glass of wine, a beer, some freshly-baked bread etc.
Even though I am vegan and I totally advocate a plant based lifestyle that is rich in whole foods to be best for your health (as well as the animals), I think that it’s ok – especially if you’re in the beginning stages of moving to a more alkaline diet – to have some lean fish or a small bit of cheese if that’s something you really love to have. This diet and lifestyle is not about depriving yourself, it’s about abundance and, in time, you’ll see that there’s always a healthy ‘white bear‘ replacement for the foods you love.
If you work on the 70/30 rule (or even better, the 80/20 rule) of alkaline/acidic foods then you’ll be doing well and on the path to a healthy lifestyle.
That means that if you’re a woman of low/moderate activity, your average daily calorie needs to maintain weight are around 2000. So 70% of those calories should come from whole plant foods (vegetables, wholegrains, fruits, nuts, pulses, seeds, potatoes) – that works out as 1400 calories. You then have leeway with the other 30% – which is a whopping 600 calories to eat the more ‘naughty’ foods. That is very liberating to know – again that there is no room for feelings of deprivation or that you’re on a restrictive lifestyle – but instead it should totally feel like a sustainable, varied and abundant positive lifestyle.
There are some foods that I say that your should simply NEVER eat – never. And I’m sad to say that tortilla chips is one of them. Stick with me…
Why should I never eat tortilla chips, I mean really?!
Tortilla chips are seemingly innocent enough. In the video I’ve recorded for you below, you’ll see that the ones I am showing you have a mere 3 ingredients in them – maize flour, sunflower oil and salt. But when you think it through, how are they made? They’re deep fried in the sunflower oil.
We know that when a mono-unsaturated or poly-unsaturated oil is heated – especially deep fried – it HYDROGENATES. Hydrogenated oil is the very worst kind of oil that we can be consuming – it’s pure artery-clogging, heart-attack-inducing grime.
ALKALINE TIP: We should avoid deep fried and hydrogenated oils at all costs. It turns the oil into a plastic-like substance that our bodies can’t break down and it stays in our system for years. It is probably the biggest culprit in causing heart disease. If you want to cook with an oil, use coconut oil instead, which is a stable, saturated healthy plant fat.
On top of that, the maize flour used (corn), could well be genetically modified as the tortilla chips are not organic.
A much healthier option is to go for some kind of baked potato chip or to make your own tortilla chips at home using coconut oil. Again, this is not about restricting yourself, it’s about finding healthy replacements for the foods you love.
If you want to explore this topic more and have a complete plan for making healthy switches of foods, drinks, household products beauty products and your daily lifestyle habits from acidifying and unhealthy to more alkaline and towards optimum health, check out my signature program, Alkaline Slim & Energised. Our students have found it really easy and fun to do over 8 weeks and there are just 2 simple actions per week that will help you in having more vitality and energy, to effortlessly lose weight and keep it off for good and get your body into acid/alkaline balance in a way that you’ll love.
Have a great week,
P.S. I will be doing more videos in this ‘Foods You Should Never Eat’ series, so keep an eye out for them in future posts 🙂
P.P.S Have you watched my 40-minute webinar on ‘The 5 Shifts to Optimum Health, Healing & Weight Loss’?
You can choose a time that suits you best here: www.alkaline-diet-health-tips.com/webinar