Recipe – Low Fat Falafel Burger With Cabbage Wraps
This is one of my most favourite recipes – a standard go to that I make often. It’s completely plant-based, alkaline, inexpensive, easy to make and tastes so nice! Lovely hearty burgers that are totally healthy.
Also, these burgers are both low fat and packed full of plant protein from the chick peas.
The cabbage wraps make a lovely, lighter and crunchy alternative to unhealthy and stodgy burger baps and really go well with the flavour of the burgers, the chutney and the tomato and onion garnish.
Give them a go today, you’ll love them!
Barley, Puy Lentil & Vegetable Hearty Stew (Instant Pot)
This is a low fat and low calorie but very hearty and nutritious stew that will be a hit with people young and old alike. It's not very spicy, so children will enjoy it but it's still very tasty because of the wonderful flavours of the vegetables and mild spices.
You can serve on its own or with rice or pasta.
- 100g pearl barley
- 100g dried green puy lentils
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large courgette (zucchini), diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1tsp garlic powder (or 2 finely chopped fresh garlic cloves)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp rock salt or tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar or agave nectar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Put all ingredients into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Mix well so all the vegetables, lentils and barley are combined with the liquid
- Cook under pressure for 15 minutes (set your Instant Pot to manual mode 15 minutes, with the lid sealed)
- Let it cool and the pressure release naturally serve and enjoy!